LOCATION: Southwest Florida’s Gulf Coast, between Naples and Sarasota (Lee County, between Collier and Charlotte counties).
AREAS OF INTEREST: Sanibel Island, Captiva Island, Fort Myers Beach on Estero Island, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, Estero, Cape Coral, Pine Island, Boca Grande & Outer Islands (Cabbage Key, Useppa Island, Cayo Costa State Island Preserve), North Fort Myers, Lehigh Acres.
- 652,000 acres, total land area
- 590 miles of shoreline
- 50 miles of white-sand beaches
- 100 plus barrier and coastal islands/Gulf of Mexico
AVERAGE ANNUAL AIR TEMPERATURES:
- 75 F average annual temperature
- 84 F average annual high temperature
- 65 F average annual low temperature
MONTHLY AIR TEMPERATURES:
Month High Low
January 75F 54F
February 77F 56F
March 80F 59F
April 85F 63F
May 89F 69F
June 92F 74F
July 92F 74F
August 92F 75F
September 91F 74F
October 87F 69F
November 81F 62F
December 77F 56F
AVERAGE ANNUAL WATER TEMPERATURES:
- 78F average annual temperature
- 71F average fall/winter temperature
- 84F average spring/summer temperature
- 66F average winter low temperature
- 87F average summer high temperature
- 722,336 residents in Lee County
- 77,146 residents in City of Fort Myers
- 7,351 residents on Sanibel Island
- 179,804 residents in City of Cape Coral
- 7,085 residents in Town of Fort Myers Beach
- 54,198 residents in City of Bonita Springs
- 396,761+ residents in Unincorporated Lee County
- 5+ million visitors annually
AIRPORTS: Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW), southeast of Fort Myers, serves Lee, Charlotte and Collier counties. Opened in 1983, it is the central gateway to Southwest Florida for domestic and international carriers. The airport’s new and improved Midfield Terminal opened in 2005. Smaller craft fly into Field Executive Airport and Page Field General Aviation Airport, near downtown Fort Myers.
MAJOR ACCESS ROADS:
Interstate 75 and U.S. 41 north-south
Alligator Alley and U.S. 41 east-west (east of Naples)
MILEAGE FROM FLORIDA CITIES:
Miami 148 miles (2½ hours drive time)
Orlando 167 miles (3½ hours drive time)
Tampa 134 miles (2½ hours drive time)
Daytona 219 miles (4¼ hours drive time)
Jacksonville 311 miles (6 hours drive time)
PEAK SEASON: Jan. 15 through April. (Rates are generally lower during off-peak vacation season, excluding holidays.) Reservations are essential during peak season.
HOTEL/MOTEL & CONDOMINIUM/RESORT ACCOMMODATIONS: There are about 23,000 rooms range from inexpensive motels to idyllic cottages to condominiums and full-service resort properties.
CAMPING: More than 3,500 campsites, countywide may be found in the Lee County’s two state parks, one county park and various RV parks.
MARINAS: 20 marinas, many of which offer boat rentals or charters.
For more information visit www.visitfortmyers.com
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, University of Florida & Lee County Economic Development Office