Your Perfect Weekend Getaway
It’s never too late to squeeze in a break in Fort Myers. A long weekend getaway lets you create the perfect blend of activities — from restful to action packed, family friendly or made for two. Mix and match the experiences below to build your quick getaway.
Where outdoor lovers come to play
- Fresh breezes rolling off the Gulf of Mexico are naturally restorative. You can easily spend all day out on the water on your own chartered boat. Enjoy a quiet pause as your captain silences the motor so you can watch dolphins at play, and hop off on secluded islands to gather seashells and splash in the warm waters.
- Canoeing and kayaking are easy for paddlers of every skill level, with multiple launch points to tranquil rivers and tributaries, backwaters and bays, creeks, and saltwater lagoons. As you enter the nearly 200-mile Great Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail, you’ll immediately feel immersed in nature. Meander through towering mangrove tunnels and watch manatees, long-legged wading birds and a variety of other creatures along the way.
- Whether you’re in the mood for a nature walk along a smooth boardwalk or a more off-the-beaten-path hike through pine flatwoods and oak hammocks, you can find it all right here. Neighborhoods such as beautiful Sanibel Island is a cycler’s paradise with miles of interconnected bike routes to explore. Go at your own speed in these hiking and biking destinations.
The many roads to culture
- While the beaches may be the main vacation attraction, you can work in some culture in any number of art galleries and museums. Immerse yourself in Matlacha’s vibrant art scene as you take in colorful outdoor sculptures, charming art galleries and brightly painted buildings. In downtown Fort Myers, you can stroll into the world-class Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center and head down the street to the Alliance for the Arts center to browse local exhibitions, watch live performances or create your own work of art.
- Past meets present throughout our islands, beaches and neighborhoods. Learn stories of the Indigenous Calusa people who once inhabited this region as you explore archaeological remnants and ancient shell mounds, historical museums, and interpretive displays.
- From the littlest travelers to seasoned explorers, there are Fort Myers museums to engage everyone. Enhance your family pastime of gathering seashells with a visit to the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum. Blend hands-on enrichment with fun-filled activities at the IMAG History & Science Center. Your kids won’t even realize they’re learning something on vacation!
The leisurely stuff
- The hallmark of any great vacation is a memorable meal. How about three (or more) days of mouthwatering dining? From hearty platters to sinfully delicious cinnamon rolls, breakfast (or brunch) in Fort Myers is truly the best way to start each day. Seafood restaurants reign supreme throughout our islands, beaches and neighborhoods; enjoy waterfront views as you dig into buckets of peel-and-eat shrimp, succulent crab claws, fresh grouper sandwiches and so much more.
- Naturally, you’ll want to pop into a shop and bring home a piece of Fort Myers. From quirky souvenirs to works of art made by locals to open-air outlet shopping, retail therapy is a perfect way to complete your short getaway.
- All you have to do now is book your stay and let the memory making begin. The Fort area has every style of accommodation to fit your long weekend plans. Explore activity-filled resorts with ocean views and sparkling pools, choose from an array of affordable beach hotels, reserve your own private vacation home or pick a campground that puts you in the heart of nature.
What’s on your itinerary? Pick a few or try them all to create a Fort Myers weekend getaway that is easy to plan and full of rewarding moments.